In the event of a windshield leak, we will immediately come to your home or work at your earliest convenience to fix it. Our leak procedure is as follows:
- Perform a leak test to identify the leak location as there are other possible causes of water leaking into a vehicle. Other causes may include but are not limited to:
- A/C Drains becoming clogging and back draining into the passenger side floor board
- Sunroof/Moonroof Drains becoming clogged and draining down the top of the windshield
- Cowling area becoming clogged, draining collected water into the passenger side
- Rusted pinchweld beyond repair. Our windshield installation warranty will not apply to heavily rusted vehicles. We will advise you to take it to a body shop.
If leak is in 1-2 locations, we will inject a sealer (small bead of urethane, 1/8” in diameter) around the general area.
- If leak is in multiple locations (more than 2 or 3), we will perform a full removal and replacement. In this procedure we will reuse the windshield we initially installed, assuming removal is without any damage, and we will completely trim, clean and prep both the windshield and the pinch weld (the part on the body of the car where the windshield is set), apply a fresh bead of urethane and set the windshield back in.
- If a leak on the same windshield happens again after these 3 steps and it is verified that the windshield is in fact leaking, we will obtain a new piece of glass, send a different technician out to re-replace your windshield and issue you a full refund of every dollar paid.
All our technicians go through a minimum of three months of on-the-job training under the tutelage of an experienced technician. Their proficiency is then determined by a trainer on how well they perform each step rather than focusing merely on the cost and time involved. We also require our technicians to spend time in the classroom environment and each must pass a written test for every urethane manufacturer we use. The lessons we focus on include the science behind the proper bonding of urethane to glass to the vehicle body, as well as the proper techniques to ensure solid adhesion every time. Our technicians are also trained to check for and prevent leaks for specific types of urethane, primers and activators that are used on each windshield.
Our philosophy here at SIR Glass is that your windshield is the only barrier between you and the outside elements. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that your windshield be installed correctly the first time. An improperly installed windshield can have enormously dangerous consequences. People have died in collisions with other vehicles because the windshield was installed improperly and there are 2 main reasons for this.
First, if your seat belt fails or you fail to remember to buckle up, your windshield is the second line of defense against you being completely ejected out the front of the car in the event of a head on collision or a rollover. Although if the collisions is fast enough, without a seat belt, you’re still probably going straight through that. But the windshield should act as a buffer to crumble around you and serve as a guard to keep you inside the vehicle. Otherwise you’ll find yourself suddenly outside the car while it and you are both rolling. Between you and the car, the car wins if it rolls on you.
Second, your windshield acts as a structural support for your car also in the event of a rollover so that your car doesn’t completely cave in on you. If the bonding is not sufficient on, your windshield can fly right out of your vehicle and if your car rolls over it might have been the only thing keeping you or one of your loved ones alive, except it didn’t because you had it installed as cheap as possible.
We make every attempt to only use glass manufactured by companies who also manufacture OEM glass. These are considered Original Equipment Equivalent, meaning they are not OEM but they meet the same quality safety standards as the OEM glass for your specific vehicle.
For example, if your windshield says Toyota PILKINGTON, that means Pilkington manufactured the glass part for your vehicle for Toyota. If we order your windshield from AGC who makes a lot of OEM glass for Honda, it will meet the same quality and safety standards as your Pilkington windshield did, just by a different company. These are considered Premium Aftermarket Glass products. This is the category between regular aftermarket and OEM, though they are still considered aftermarket, just a higher quality.
The major companies are Pilkington, PPG/PGW, AGC, FYG, AP Tech, United, Guardian, Carlite/Carlex, & Sekurit/Saint Gobain.